| |
One of the (perhaps counterintuitive) implications of the doctrine of infallibility - which relates truth to ecclesial authority - is that the law of non-contradiction only falsifies the claims of Catholicism when it is applied to infallibly defined doctrine. The Church, like any spouse, is perfectly capable of changing her mind in a way which contradicts prior authoritative - but not infallible - doctrine. This is a mundane truth about the nature of things which does not excuse you from obedience. It may irritate you, but it doesn't justify a divorce; and you probably (I hope) weren't stupid enough to demand as a condition of marriage that your spouse never change her mind. And in the end obedience to authority is what this is really about, not some sham falsification of the Catholic Faith constructed by making a mundane truth about authority exercised over time and within history into some faux profound Platonic gotcha with respect to the truth..Or, paraphrasing William Luse what this comes down to is unwillingess to recognize any authority greater than ones own imperial self. A Catholic submits to Peter knowing full well - or at least responsible for knowing full well - that Peter hasn't promised, when it comes to a great many things, not to change his mind. A Catholic submits to Peter because Peter is the Vicar of Christ, given the keys by Christ. - Zippy of 'Zippy Catholic'
When Christ returns, he's expecting a bride, not a harem. - Anglican Robert of "Tribal Pundit", on Christian unity.
Without getting into details, let me propose that there are two major problems with the book: its humorlessness and its intended audience. I think the problem with most crackpot theories -- and make no mistake, that's what we're dealing with here -- is that they are proposed with too little humor. (I should mention that no one yet has managed to explain modern physics without appealing to a crackpot theory, and of course Christianity is itself based on the absurdity that God loves us enough to die for us, so the problem with this book isn't the mere presence of crackpottedness.)... Instead of writing, "I will continue to believe in the fundamental laws of physics even if doing so results in my professional death as a physicist," as he does in his conclusion, I think he should write something like, "I know these are some crazy ideas, but what if the universe is crazy?" - Tom of Disputations post on book "The Physics of Christianity"
I do think Stephen Barr made a good point or two in his First Things essay on Faith and Quantum Physics. He suggested Quantum Physics' presupposition of an observer makes the field more open to both human and divine persons than the impersonal Newtonian clockwork universe did. - Kevin Jones commenting on Disputations
It's odd, I grew up a "depressed" teenager (a proto-goth by all descriptions) and I never once thought of medication, nor did my parents. We've entered the era of the immediate palliative and it is pervasive. Yes, clinical depression is a serious problem, but I suspect that far fewer young people suffer from it than are medicated for it. The same is true, I think, for a panoply of ills--ADHD, etc. - reader email
The “fast track to knowing God, is love”, in reality “even among men and women true knowledge of another person can only be reached if you open your hearts”: the deep meaning of prayer, ‘our conversation with’ and keeping the “gaze of our hearts fixed on Christ.” - Pope Benedict quoted in Zenit article
I became convinced that the Early Church is more Catholic than Protestant. - President of the Evangelical Theological Society Francis J. Beckwith on his reversion
People in the city seldom experience real silence, darkness, or solitude. But these things are important for the spiritual life. Silence is necessary for contemplation and repentance. Darkness is symbolic of many spiritual truths and is the only means we have of appreciating the light. Given my remarks about community and neighborliness, you would think that rural dwellers would not experience much solitude. But that just isn’t the case. Rural dwellers get both extremes: real community and real solitude. When you’re alone, you’re truly alone. There are no shopping malls or movie theatres to alleviate your solitude. Life in the countryside is marked by dependence and lack of choice: you can’t alter your surroundings on a whim. I think this ultimately leads to a calm acceptance of reality. - Jeff of "Stony Creek Digest"
I have not prayed the Rosary in a year or more, not that I made a conscious choice about it, but just lost focus. I was praying the Rosary regularly at lunch time while taking a walk on a nearby trail, but my attention was so divided by the things going on around me that I lost concentration on the prayer. I felt uncomfortable about that and decided to put the Rosary off to a better time of day. Of course, I never found the time and just got out of the habit both of praying and walking. I shouldn’t have done either, and view these recent reminders as little notes from the Spirit that I have strayed a bit from the path...Fr. Marc emphasizes that the Rosary is a power against evil. He takes literally the Scriptural truth that the woman will “bruise” the head of the evil one; in fact, he points out that devotion to our Blessed Mother causes the great liar a good deal of torment. The devil rejoices that so few people bother to pray in union with Mary and meditate on the life of her son...The Rosary seems such a simple prayer, yet the effects of praying it, both on the lives of the saints and the great sinner, are beyond our understanding. - Ron at '7 Habitus'
No comments:
Post a Comment