My goal for this season was modest: just stay in contention till the weather turns warm. Just stay competitive till, say, June. Because I'd like to go to a game this year when the weather is warm, the beer is cold and the Reds still have a pulse.
I was askin' way too much.Certainly the way they are losing leaves much to be desired. With the world's worst bullpen, late inning losses are the default and are morale killers.
(Image at left courtesy the Red Reporter blog.)
The Braves used to pray for rain in between Spahn & Sain. I pray for rain between the 6th & 7th inning every day. The Reds will have to lead the league in games called due to weather in order to lead the league in wins.
How bad is our bullpen? It's so bad that "Reds bullpen outs" has been added to the endangered species list. It's so bad that our starters have filed civil suits complaining of lost wages. It's so bad that the opposing teams now refer to the late innings of Reds games as batting practice. In 84 innings, the Reds relief corps has given up a healthy 120 hits & walks, including 11 home runs.
Alls I can say is thank God for Ohio State! Their basketball and football excellence will get me through this lean Redleg season.
So enough negativity! Let's strike up the band. To the tune of Annie's Tomorrow:
The Reds'll come out
Tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar
That tomorrow
They will pitch!
Just thinkin' about
Tomorrow
Clears away the nitemares,
And the drama
'Til there's none!
When we're stuck with a bullpen
That's fey,
And lame-o,
I just stick out my chin
And Grin,
And Say,
Oh!
The Reds'll come out
Tomorrow
So ya gotta hang on
'Til tomorrow
Come what may
Tomorrow! Tomorrow!
I love ya Tomorrow!
You're always
A day away.
No comments:
Post a Comment