November 29, 2004

Review

Saw the Incredibles o'er the weekend due to the surreal claims made for it and it was a good movie though my enjoyment of a movie tends to be inversely proportional to my expectation level going in -- and between Victor's & Peony's recommendations it was dangerously high. The Passion of the Christ, by way of contrast, was exactly the opposite due to the lousy trailers. The constant slow motion of Judas throwing a sack of coins at the Jewish leaders was sleep-inducing, so TPOTC greatly exceeded expectations. (I never seem to have this problem with books for some reason.)

I'm surprised at how good others think this movie. It was certainly jammed with positive messages; this "super family" has a range of gifts, all of which were needed to escape the evil one, a metaphor for the Body of Christ. There were some nice lines like when the mother told her daughter "we don't have the luxury to doubt". And the malevolent disgruntled former fan of Mr. Incredible says "if all of us are super, then none of us are super!".

Still, as Ham of Bone can attest I'm not a movie connoisseur so I'd be most interested Bone's reaction since he's the movie lover. Unfortunately his frugality prevents him from seeing movie until they can be rented from the library...

Meanwhile, from the IMDB.com site:
"I was blown away by this movie. I am an avid fan of Nietzsche and a sometime interested person in Ayn Rand. Whoever wrote this movie may be (it used to say "is," which was stupid) paying tribute to them.

Did anyone else see a criticism of the Christian slave morality, or any of Nietzsche's ideas of the superman or Ayn Rand's reverence for great men who triumph over those who try to hold them back? The similarities are too many to number; I don't think the issue is whether these themes are present, because they are indisputably there. The only question is to what extent."
"Re: philosophical implications
by - Duderonomy 6 days ago (Tue Nov 23 2004 00:08:54 )

UPDATED Tue Nov 23 2004 00:21:55

--------------------------------------------------------
Hahaha, i hope you're not serious. Check every other movie about super heroes or almost anything at all for the so called similarities you're talking about. Reverence for great men who triumph over those who try to hold them back? Are you serious? Have you ever seen any other movies? ever? Because that's just about the most general omnipresent quality that you are going to find in movies. You're right these things are there, but they don't have anything to do with nietzsche or rand. They're just common plot devices that are used because they create drama and allow the audience to become emotionally invested in the story. There is absolutely no reason to believe they were taken from a philosophical text, I would know, I'm a philosophy major."

No comments: