JPII's Day
"Regrets..I've had a few..."...I feel sheepish that I watched the Holy Father's funeral on tape this morning instead of getting up at 4am to watch it live as apparently some did. But am more regretting I didn't see the Pope in '99 when he came to St. Louis. Sometimes a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is not an exaggeration.
Saw Jacques Chirac sitting near President Bush and I reacted as most of the world probably did - with revulsion towards either one or the other (I'm sure you can guess which for me). But then I realized how proper the Pope be a peacemaker in death and how great a thing for Clinton, the Bushes and Chirac and company to be there. I feel closer to JPII now than when he was alive here on earth. He seems more accessible now, and well he is.
Have been making my way through the backlog of papal television programming. Was disappointed by Tim Russert's "Meet the Press" which was totally outclassed (for once) by George Stephanopoulos's "This Week". "This Week" devoted a decent portion of the broadcast to clips from the Pope's trips to America and how wonderful it was to hear him - it's like going back in time and listening to St. Paul speaking to the Corinthians. I wish there were a DVD available of all his American talks.
No comments:
Post a Comment