January 12, 2007

Week in Review

Well the Bucks game was over nearly before it began. I went to my inlaws because they lived closest to my house and it was a “school night” as they say. The gods of college football apparently cared little about the decreased productivity in the states of Ohio and Florida on Tuesday, at least not when it means m-m-m-money. Plus the in-laws are OSU-crazy, beginning and ending family gatherings with the blessing “Go Bucks”. Their passion is heartfelt and entertaining and I can share it only derivatively. Not being an OSU grad or a Columbus native I always feel like I’m cheating on my wife (my alma mater). OSU, as mistresses go, is extremely attractive and sexy, and given the Bengals and Reds seasons I feel a sense of entitlement.

The Bucks lost the coin toss (John McCain lost a roomful of voters), but that bad taste was quickly turned on its head by an electric kickoff return for a touchdown. Many highfives and hugs later, sobriety returned as Florida methodically returned fire. “Gay-tors” they weren’t. They had teeth. My father-in-law aged before my eyes, disconsolantly saying they always break his heart. But it was just January of 2003 when they last won it all, and I don’t think your team shouldn’t win it all too often lest you become complacent. Once a decade would be nice as well as exceptional given how rarely the average Division 1 team wins a national championship. But all is relative. If Notre Dame is the king of the notoriously overrated, it seems the teams of the Big Ten, this year at least, were princes.

Speaking of the game and game recaps, Ham o' Bone toiled long and hard in his blogratory on this post, calling it his breakthrough 100-comment post, but it appears it wasn't to be. Tough to find an audience these days.

No comments: