Nice Dispatch feature on Ohio writers:
In his afterword to Good Roots: Writers Reflect on Growing Up in Ohio, novelist Mark Winegardner makes a persuasive case for the Midwest being the cradle not only of football coaches but of the country’s greatest writers. The evidence is ample: Mark Twain (Missouri), Ernest Hemingway (Illinois), F. Scott Fitzgerald (Minnesota), T.S. Eliot (Missouri), Theodore Dreiser (Indiana), Thornton Wilder (Wisconsin). And the list goes on and on. Take that, New York. Good Roots editor Lisa Watts asked several writers to contemplate how the Midwest in general, and Ohio in particular, shaped them as people and, especially, as writers. Popular children’s author R.L. Stine wonders: "Would I have ventured outside more if it wasn’t so BORING out there? If I lived in a more stimulating, crowded, cosmopolitan, lots-to-see-and-do environment? I don’t know. But the quiet and normalcy of my little block of our little town gave me the security to stay inside and explore this new passion of mine. "
No comments:
Post a Comment