Rosie's Sad Decline
I'm surprised by those who are surprised by Rosie O'Donnell's collapse. I've been seeing it in co-workers and others for years now. Anger makes you do stupid things and extreme anger makes you do extremely stupid things. Rage drops your IQ even more than checking your email.
As I've written in the past, BMMIS (Bush Made Me Insane Syndrome) does exist and if a certain percentage of non-celeb Americans are afflicted then naturally a certain percentage of celebrities will. Like a plague, it's no respecter of persons.
Given the ratings of "The View", the illness is probably more widespread than suspected. It's hard to separate out how many are a) just watching because they like to be outraged b) watching because train wrecks are often interesting or c) actually believe the stuff she does.
There's an old line that "elections have consequences" and I'd always tended to think of that purely in terms of how governmental power is exercised after an election and the effect of those policies. But what I didn't realize is how politics can affect the mental health of so many. If Bush wasn't president, Rosie and the thousands/millions like her might have gone down that path in one way or another anyway. But I'm beginning to doubt that. For the vulnerable, Bush seems to be their tipping point.
No comments:
Post a Comment