August 18, 2025

Food Truck Triplog

They say it’s not the heat but the humidity but sometimes it’s both. Today was both and whoa even a heat-lover like me took an hour break. But after walking/jogging 5.3 miles it felt warranted. 

We had just gone to the Columbus Food Truck Festival at the Franklin County fairgrounds and stumbled around in the heat, picking food from the first truck we saw (practically). This is the closest thing to our city’s “Taste of Columbus” it would seem. Unfortunately there were almost no samples so it would’ve cost a fortune to try all 40+ shops. Not quite “Taste of Cincinnati” alas. 

I joked to my wife that you know you’re old when you’re excited about going to a food festival. When I was a kid I’d be like, “There’s McDonald’s and Pizza Hut, who needs anything else?” 

I went with “The Pressed Olive” which specializes in “Mediterranean wraps and comfort food” according to their website. I had a “French taco”, a wrap stuffed with three meats (chicken, pork and brisket) as well as gouda cheese & fries.  My wife picked a Cincy bbq joint a few yards away and chose ribs and collard greens. (I used to think as a kid it was “colored greens” because I thought only black people ate them.) 

Needless to say there were a lot of trucks that “got away”, as in they got away without my money. I chose Frida’s Mexican for a chicken burrito but felt some regret for missing out on Big Pappy’s BBQ and the luscious-looking smoothies at another truck.  Smoothies, by the way, are one of the few good things that the young have now that we lacked. We had nothing but Icee’s. 

I used to have no money and all appetite. Now I have money but not enough appetite. Such is life!


No comments: