October 08, 2025

Rod Dreher Post

Read a rich Dreher post on the sad story of Steve Skopec and how you have to get out of your head, that you can’t argue and understand apologetics in order to get close to God. It takes long, meditative prayer. It’s hard. 

Interesting that the Orthodox don’t think God is primarily known through reading the Scripture or reading commentaries on it. It’s through prayer, and not the petitionary kind. 

He says: 

Hesychastic prayer isn’t magic or anything. It is premised on the fundamental Orthodox idea that God is primarily to be known through participation in His life. And the most ordinary way to do that is through prayer. Notice that hesychastic prayer is not petitionary, except in asking Jesus for mercy. You don’t make a list of the things you want or need from God. The point is simply to place yourself in His presence, and stay there. This is a participatory form of knowing Him — and, for Orthodox Christians, the only way to know Him. Orthodoxy distinguishes knowing about God from knowing God. It is good to know about God, through reading, study, etc. — but the point of life is to know God in one’s heart, and to create in one’s heart a dwelling place for the Holy Spirit.

More Steve Skopec via Dreher: 

“This friend of mine [Steve’s] explained to me that he believed that if he approached things the way I do, if he tried to make sense out of the suffering he sees in the lives of people he loves who have tried to live their lives the right way, it would drive him crazy. He told me that when his kids come home from college and sit around the table debating theology, he enjoys it, but feels no need to join in. To him, what matters is to believe, to prioritize the things that are most important — his responsibilities as a provider and his family — and to leave the rest up to God.

I found myself wondering why I have to question everything. Why I so desperately need things to make some damn kind of sense. I found his explanation to be a nearly-perfect encapsulation of the childlike faith Christ commended his followers to adopt…and yet, and yet, I knew even as I tried to cement this concept in my own mind as a better way that it was something I could never do. Or at least, something I could not do anytime soon. My search for meaning amidst the suffering is far from its conclusion. And yet it still felt like an important piece of the puzzle I’m trying to assemble along this pilgrimage towards whatever comes next.”

More Dreher: 

“As an Orthodox, I learned how to turn off my analytical mind. I would have thought in the past that was about making myself stupid for the sake of pietism. But I learned that no, my over-analytical mind was making me sick, spiritually and physically (when it turned to trying to make sense of the fact that my Louisiana family rejected me). Orthodoxy doesn’t tell you to stop thinking about things. It rather orders the thinking, and teaches you how not to let obsessive analysis ruin your life.

How I regret those years I spent as a Catholic, talking for hours with other conservative Catholic friends, usually bitching about the failures of the Church. We weren’t wrong in our criticism, but rarely if ever did we talk about the Lord, or the good things He gave us in the Church. We analyzed and critiqued everything, and imagined ourselves to be loyal sons of the Church. Don’t misread me: I’m not at all saying that one shouldn’t analyze and critique. Pietism is no virtue when it is used as an escape from the responsibility of criticizing and critiquing (though one should do so constructively, from a place of love). I’m just saying that intellection is no substitute for deep prayer. And in my own case, I learned the hard way that the habit of overanalyzing everything (not just the things of religion) is a serious spiritual pitfall for me, as I believe it is for Steve.

People take up this admittedly difficult spiritual path when they become convinced that it is worth it. They become convinced that being able to abide steadily in God’s presence will not only transform their own life, but also enable them to pray with increased clarity and effectiveness for those they love.”

No comments: